We pay so much attention to planning our wedding engagement and reception, forgetting probably the most important affair when it comes to getting married the REGISTRY. Only the married certificate received during the court wedding makes you legally married. There are two Federal Marriage Registries in Nigeria at the moment, the Federal Marriage Registry Abuja and the Federal Marriage Registry Ikoyi Lagos both under the Ministry of Interior and due to one reason or the other IKOYI REGISTRY is the most internationally recognized registry in Nigeria.
Here are 5 important things you need to know about getting married at the Ikoyi Registry.
1. What happens at the Registry each day of the week
Oath swearing happens usually on Tuesdays, while Wednesdays to Fridays are for contracting marriages.
- Two passports photograph from both the bride and the groom
- Photocopy of birth certificate or age declaration for both groom and bride
- Sworn affidavit for current marital status.
Getting married at Ikoyi registry costs between NGN 31,000.
4. Fill forms procedure
- Obtain and fill out form called “NOTICE OF MARRIAGE”. When you fill this, make sure the name of you and your spouse is boldly written and your surnames are underlined. Attach a copy of your passport photographs. A fee will be charged on submission of this form.
- Return to the registry after 21 days with already filled forms. You would be given another set of forms “AFFIDAVIT ON APPLICATION FOR CERTIFICATE”. Attach a copy of both of your birth certificates when submitting this form. If the birth certificate is not available, a declaration of age can be attached instead.
- Next, you fill the ‘Certificate of Bachelorhood/Spinsterhood’.
- If one or both couple had children before this marriage, an Affidavit should also be presented stating the number of children. This is to encourage transparency.
- The date for your interview is set.
5. On- the day requirements
You are expected to:
- Notify the registry of your preferred wedding date
- Present two witnesses from both bride and groom
- Present two rings and a Bible/Quran
The dress code is formal. No Casuals- Short sleeves, shorts and jeans are not allowed. You are to appear in either corporate or traditional attires.
Get to the registry as early as possible on your given date with your witnesses so you don’t miss your own wedding. The process must times is very fast. After you’ve completed the above requirement, your oath taking ceremony takes place, and you’re married!!!
If you are looking to create a wedding website, send e-invitation card, have a gift registry for your wedding and do lots of interesting things to spice up your wedding, visit www.palmfront.com. THANK ME LATER…..